Pages

Friday 7 September 2012

JAPAN, Summer 2011 [part 3/8] - Kamakura 鎌倉

The second city I visited was Kamakura, the old capital of Japan. It was a tiny little place, but still I managed to get lost countless times.

Before I start, here's a map of Kamakura similar to the one I was using when I was there.
My hotel was just outside the Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, at the top of that long vertical road. it was built on top of a traditional Japanese sweets shop. The people there were so lovely, they gave me loads of info and of course free sweets!
I began the day really early just looking around the central area next to the station. I walked around the backstreets and got lost several times, hence the lack of photos since I was probably panicking. I went past a little train crossing before turning back, and I remember taking pictures of that place but I can't find them anywhere...




This was another train crossing~




Hasedera Temple















I climbed up to as far as the public could go and got a picture of the spectacular view!





 
 Kamakura Buddha! It's hollow inside for people to climb~




I was feeling adventurous so I thought I'd trek up to a shrine/temple up in the mountains. I was dying to go to the Hokokuji Temple because of the bamboo forest and zen gardens, but resisted the temptation because it was too far of a journey for a lone traveller like myself. I had another bamboo forest waiting for me in Kyoto so it was okay. I settled on the Zeniarai Benten Shrine, which was a long walk but I was confident I wouldn't get lost. It's a money washing Shinto shrine, and legend has it that if you wash your money in the 'holy' water, it would multiply. 

I was pretty much walking alone for a long part of the way and I have to admit it was pretty scary.. but so worth it!


snaps of the neighbourhood along the way~ Really want to live there!







People here decorate their front doors like this, so freaking adorable!

I remember getting here and wondering where the heck the shrine was..

Turned out it was through this tunnel!

On the other side of the tunnel of the entrance



Felt a bit rude taking pictures of people's wishes.. but they were so prettily written~





Next to the lamp was a mini well/pond like place where you could wash your money. I washed all the coins I had in my purse.

At the entrance of the cave there were thousands of these paper cranes all chained together. Some of them were so old they were probably done before I was born.



Sorry for the blurry pics the cave was dark!







Cute place that reminded me of my childhood in China. We used to have similar tables and chairs everywhere in rural China but those ones were mostly made of stone.

I sat inside this place for ages, not wanting to leave because it was like a perfect escape from the outside world. The sun was setting and the breeze was cool. It's been a year and I still remember how meditatively relaxing it was in there.


At night time after an amazing meal I felt like bedtime was too soon, so I left all my bags/cameras in the hotel and began a very long journey walking from Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine all the way to Yuigahama beach. Along the way I bought countless drinks from the vending machines lining the side of the road. They were cheap and so tasty I couldn't stop indulging myself. I also passed some car washers eyeing me weirdly and a Bosozoku gang with their massive bikes and engines driving up and down that one street making a right havoc.

Since I didn't have my camera with me, I can't show you the beach, but trust me it was beautiful, especially since it was dusk and the sky was doing pretty things. It was a sand beach, and I saw so many couples strolling around and students setting off fireworks. Praying for good exam results I presumed.

Here are some pictures I got off the internet of the beach:
Credit: exploringtokyo.com
Credit: げっぴーさん at 4travel.jp
Credit: miyax at www.kabegami.com
Credit: Here

Credit: Here
Interesting episode there: I was alone in the dark walking on the beach (oh so vulnerable haha) and some greasy British guys came up to me obviously thinking I was Japanese and tried to chat me up in English, thinking that I probably wouldn't understand anything. I wasn't scared at all, because it was just so funny. After a while I looked at one of the guys in the eye and said with my British accent: 'I can speak English you know' and they (and the couple sitting on the bench next to me) eyed me so hard and scattered like chickens. Lol.

Stay tuned for part 4 of my travels in Hakone! Things get exciting from here :)

2 comments: