Pages

Sunday 19 February 2012

London Fashion Week Days 1 & 2 - bringing back British Fashion + Minimalist influences

Before I start, I'd like to thank all my readers that are reading my posts!

I'm at home home today, but when we were driving we past the glorious Somerset House all done up for LFW.

In the doom and gloom of a weather, the building itself looked horrid, but somehow the Mondrian windows worked, and the sheer number of fashionable people around the area was enough to light up at least that part of London. When we were passing Waterloo Bridge I seriously considered stopping the car by to just observe the amazing street fashion. After only around 10 seconds of observation, I have reached the conclusion that London fashion as perceived by the public is very much focused on retro British fashion. You have the 60s glamour, 70s high waists, 80s colours and 90s grunge. ALL coming back.

All hail British Fashion.

Mind that these are the umbrella stereotypes; everyone added their own little thing to stand out from each other.

People love recreating that chic look that Britain in the 60s are so well known for. A walk down Brick Lane and the style is blatantly located there. If done correctly and you have enough vintage pieces, you could really look like you came out of a page of a magazine at the time:
(pic taken from Vintage Fashion Week website)

I'll skip the 70s as I'm not a massive fan on high waisted pants (being short in height myself), but the 80s style was very dominating. Nowadays people go for colour. The wilder the better. Under influences from emerging designers such as Jeremy Scott, who skillfully locks mad colours and sporty fashion into his pieces, people are bringing back the 80s dance attire: big sweatshirt, jazzy shiny leggings, bright zip ups. The colours are more sophistcated than the classic neons, but the influence is clearly visible. 


The recreated 90s looks comes from the oversized sweaters/jumpers, contrasting collars, clunky big shoes (doc martens, platform sneakers), high neck shirts, printed T shirts, velvet. And I think most iconic pastel colours. Log yourself onto Tumblr and see for yourself people's obsession with dip tyed hair in all colours. It's a brilliant look that wraps in individuality and fantasy. Very trippy but it works. 
(pic taken from romanceisboring.tumblr.com)

(pic from f-a-s-s-h-o-n.tumblr.com)

British fashion is proudly being worn again. I think the advancement is probably the newish embrace of equality of men and women, and influences from modern Asia. Women proudly wear men's styles such as from the Kooples or Ralph Lauren. Japanese grunge and lolita fashion are also widely present. 

So, what's on the runway?

Surprising, it's minimalism. From all the decades. 

At least so far.

As I mentioned in a past post, people are finally recognising the sense of comfortable fashion, earth/metal colours and a general downgrade from extravagance and art nouveau details. Let's take a look at some walks from Friday and Saturday:

J. JS Lee
Clean clean clean. Everything about this collection is clean, washed down, simplistic, nude. When I look at this, it's like I've returned the the mid-90s. Look at the hair as well, so neutral and bare. Very "clean cut and distinctively grown up", as depicted by the Telegraph. What I love is the geometric look, almost architectural, no cliche contouring of the woman's body, ie waist, bum, chest, etc. The pieces drape down the sides like the sides of a rectangle. It's not at body hugging, but creates a clean cut, structural silhouette. Check out the last black dress though, looove the little ruffle down one side. Would love to get my hands on those!

Jasper Conran
Glorious 60s. Knee length bell shaped skirts/coats. 60s was when any sort of minimalist ideas all began. Twiggy's trend for short hair, clean contours to the face are all here. These metallic shifts are beautiful, even though they look a bit heavy to wear.

Zoe Jordan
The bell shaped silhouette is so evident here. Overall minimal shape, but the details of the fabric seem highly detailed. There are some chiffon, embroidery and every snake skin motifs. Some pieces look like wool and tricot too.

House of Holland
Helloooooo 70s!!! Before I analyse anything, check out those amazing flare leggings. It feels like if I went to GAP in the 70s I would find the top 3 looks on the mannequins. Absolutely loving this orangey red and the high waist tailoring. The original bell bottomed pants seem even more exaggerated to emphasize on the influence.

Maria Grachvogel
I can't exactly pin point what period this is from, but it is definitely an upgrade from classic minimalism. The silks and draped dresses spurs a French style. I love that red maxi dress and how it hugs the legs so closely. I'm glad that they cleaned the hair to make the horizontal shoulder line stand out even more.

Lastly,
PPQ
Even the 40s are back. Completely perfectly with the wavy glamour hairstyles. This is REAL vintage, but everything is done better. Better quality fabrics, better sleekness, better contouring. Clothes back the in the 40s almost reshaped and redefined women, but this collection kept it so that the girls define the clothes with their figures and movement.

So, that was days 1 & 2 of London Fashion Week. I'll be back tomorrow to update on day 3. And I promise to do more personal posts as well.

In the mean time, I need a get myself a new pair of sunglasses and a 20s head hugging hat.

Also, I'm getting my hair done at Jones & Payne tomorrow. I managed to book a slot for getting my hair re tinted and re cut (it's dying at the bottom..) Shouldn't look too different, but I'll post some pictures if I do take them!

Alsoooo my haul clothes are drying up from the wash. I should be able to blog about that really soon!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment